Sunday 19 May 2013

Bark? Yes Please!

Todays recipe is quite honestly my biggest weakness in life! It is one of many recipes in my mother-in-laws stash that has seriously changed my life and regularly threatens my waist line. And up until now life was as it should be and I didn't know how to make it - for my own wellbeing. But when I was contemplating what to share with you today I decided to set my selfish ways aside and give it up. In advance, you are welcome!

Come to find out it is easy peasy, as all good things in life should be {right?}! And a crowd pleasing after {or before/during} meal snack. It also makes a great gift - perhaps for the kids teachers at the end of the year?! Just do it up in a little tin, you dont have to give it all away, or put a few pieces in a small cellophane bag and attach it to a gift along with the usual tag and ribbon. It will give it that little something extra! And I can guarantee they will be asking you for your recipe. Just send them my way!

Homemade Bark

Preheat the oven to 350º
You'll need:

- Parchment Paper
- Graham wafers

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Line that parchment paper with graham wafers {Elaine recommends the compliments brand because they are larger and easy to break to fill in the gaps}.

- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Margarine

Bring the sugar and margarine to a boil in a saucepan.
Pour the boiling mixture over the pan of graham wafers.


Pop the cookie sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes {until it is sizzling!}

- 1 bag Chocolate Chips
- 1 bag White Chocolate Chips
- Almond Slivers {optional}

As soon as you pull it out of the oven scatter the chocolate chips and spread with a spatula.
Once fully melted add almonds {use your discretion}.
Place cookie sheet in freezer for at least 30 minutes to harden.
Once hardened, break apart into bight-sized 'bark' pieces. And presto!


*You could use any chocolate or spread of your choosing - mint or butterscotch perhaps? And the toppings could vary as well - skor bits, crushed candy canes {the holiday season will be back around before you know it}, pecans... the world is your oyster!

Bonne Appétit!
*Yeah that is truly how I look first thing Sunday Morning. No Judgement Please.

Add a homemade tag for an extra special touch!

Happy snacking! Don't get caught sneaking an extra piece!
{I recommend hiding a few {large} pieces in a small tupperware at the back of your pantry/cupboard for a rainy day!}

*I just have to add: While whipping this delicious treat up to share with all of you, Finley decided to have a #2. Sarah was on baby duty so she took a break from assisting me in the kitchen to change the mess. Out of the blue from the living room I hear, 'I have something brown on my arm. Can't be sure if it is chocolate or poo. Should I chance a lick??'...Welcome to my world!


2 comments:

  1. Soooo doing this sometime.. Minus the white chocolate chips ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a favorite at our house and my place of work - I make it at Christmas every year and sometimes for other "special" events. The only difference is we use brenton crackers to line the pan - I'll have to try the graham wafer version. Angie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS