Tuesday 28 May 2013

Simple{ish} Stool Facelift

Remember that time I gave a secondhand stool a makeover, shared it on this blog, and you all loved it? Oh wait...that was supposed to be todays post.

For the umpteenth million time in my life I came to realize that things are not always as they seem. You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now. Apparently I am a VERY slow learner. From here on out, I solemnly swear to research {at least a little} any hair-brained sewing endeavours I scheme up. That way we both win. I wont have to get over-the-top frustrated and you wont have to hear me complain about it. Deal?


Remember this treasure we found on one of our adventures a while back? With Roberts help, we gave it a little freshening up and now it is pretty enough to call our master bath home.


First came sanding. Then came primer. Then came Allison in the fetal position.
Okay so maybe the fetal position is a little overboard but things did get tense down the line.


After the primer Robert did two solid coats of navy paint, left over from Finley's room, and a few touch ups. *Take your time when using dark colours. You'll want to make sure every nook and cranny is covered or else it will be evident.


Then we moved on to the top cushion cover. We traced the stool top for size onto the batten then cut it out. Robert attached it to with a spray adhesive.


And last, but certainly not least, we covered the batten with fabric. *Enter self inflicted frustrations.

First, I thought we would just staple the fabric to the base of the stool. But then my perfectionist tendencies kicked in and I decided we could absolutely not have any creases. For who could ever love a stool with creases?! As a result there were two tried, and desperately failed, attempts at sewing a slip cover. I was ill prepared, which wont happen again after taking the oath above, and didn't have any materials for an alternate version. So I returned to the original plan, vetoed my own opinion, and settled with creases. After attaching the fabric we cut out and stapled cardboard to cover the base and uneven fabric ends.


It may not be perfect, but it is a definite improvement on what we started with. And if I had not had too high of expectations it would have been easy as 1,2,3, Done.

So after a little TLC, a large glass of wine, and a good nights rest I am happy to say that the final product doesn't look too bad in front of my bathroom vanity. It adds a lovely pop of colour in the all cream space. And will be the perfect jumping off point for the rest of the room. I look forward to the projects to come. And hope you do too!

*Just have to add: After everything was said and done and I was snapping a few shots to share with you, that was the moment common-law decides to interject, 'You know, you could have tried stencilling the top! That would have been cool.' ...really? That suggestion couldn't have been tossed into the ring several hours prior? Apparently not. Apparently he likes to watch me stew in a pot of my own frustrations and perfectionisms. Got to love that guy!

Chat soon!


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS