Sunday 30 June 2013

Delectable Red Velvet Cake

Today's recipe is one of my all time favs - Red Velvet Cake. And with this weekend being filled with Canada Day celebrations I deemed it absolutely apropos.

There are many versions of this recipe available, like anything these days, and I have done my share of searching around for the best one. But I am here to say that the recipe below turned out the best I have ever had or made. *The sole exception being Mrs. Vicki Lee, but I've chosen to exclude her in the comparison because I strongly believe it is not the recipe itself that makes the difference but the love that goes into it! Gosh I love me some Southern bakin'...

Back to the cake. I originally found this recipe over at Divas Can Cook blog. When Monique claimed it was the BEST red velvet recipe ever I had to take a closer look. And when I caught sight of the last ingredient I knew, even before it was out of the oven, that it would be my go-to forever more. I was absolutely right.


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • Red Food Colouring {1-2 oz + Depending on how bright you want it}
  • 1 tsp White Vinegar
  • 1/2 cup Prepared Plain Hot Coffee {Key to Success - Don't skip this Ingredient}
Now let's get baking:
  1. Preheat oven to 325°
  2. In medium sized bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. In large bowl combine sugar and vegetable oil.
  4. Mix in eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and food colouring.
  5. Stir in the coffee and vinegar.
  6. Gradually add the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. 
  7. Grease and lightly flour two round cake pans.
  8. Pour batter evenly between each.
  9. Bake for 30-40 minutes on centre rack. *Do not over bake. It will continue to cook as it cools.
  10. Let stand for several minutes before removing from pans. *Loosen the cake from the pan with a knife before trying to remove. Allow to cool completely.
  11. Once cool, trim the cakes straight across the top for level stacking.
  12. Ice the top of the first layer. 
  13. Once smooth add the second layer and ice top and edges.
*I used Cream Cheese Frosting. The same as for my Carrot Cake.

And there you have it - delectable in cake form! Just in time for the red and white festivities {blue could certainly be incorporated}!

What other goodies are gracing your tables this weekend? Dish! Or if you are stumped, scoot over to Divas Can Cook for more great recipes.

Chat soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS