Friday 30 August 2013

Personally Yours Wedding Gift

Giving gifts is one of my love languages. I would love nothing more than to constantly shower those around me with surprise gifts. If I had buckets of money like Scrooge McDuck, but my same giving sense, I would be a force to be reckoned with. 

Here's a gift pal. Why you might ask? Let's go with...Because it is Friday. Or because you are a sweet friend. Or I saw this and it made me think of you. You mentioned you liked this while we were out last week so I went back and picked it up... Gifts all around! But alas I am not rich. Therefore, sadly my gifts are few and far between. So when a special time of celebration roles around I make every effort not to procrastinate and compile that perfectly personal token within my budget. 

Recently we had just the occasion to put our thinking caps on and come up with something extra special for two wonderful friends. I mentioned on Monday that we had spent the weekend helping Jenn and Greg celebrate their upcoming nuptials with their friends and family. They have quickly taken up a special place in our lives and we wanted nothing more than to show them just how grateful we are for their friendship especially during this exciting time in their lives. Because I was in the drivers seat, the gift wound up being directed more specifically to Jenn and our mutual love fore wine but hopefully it will be something they enjoy as a couple down the road. 

The best part of all...wait for it... is that the concept is one that could easily be manipulated for various occasions on any budget! Music to a gift givers ears. You can customize it to your personal taste, style, and relationship. Take a look.


Ta-Da! A basket of wine with glasses. 

Okay, so saying it like that doesn't sound so original. Or exciting for that matter. But this is no ordinary wine basket. Let's take a closer look.


First of all, Jenn and I are wine people. We share a mutual love for all wines and are always serving up a glass of our latest purchases with one another. So it was my obvious choice. But this gift could be done with any beverage of choice relevant to the receiver.


The basket - or would you call this a bin since it has handles? - is the first part of the gift.

It is functional for packaging and can be repurposed somewhere in her house afterward. The pattern is just to her taste! And with the front labelling pocket, it is the first opportunity to add your personal flair. *I was running late with the assembly so mine fell a little flat.


We went with four bottles because that is what fell within our budget for the shower. {We may continue on theme for the wedding but time will tell.} I opted to go with two red and two white. One of each being slightly more costly than our usual choices to make it that much more special.

The glasses were an essential part of the gift because Jenn doesn't have a full set to my knowledge. If your recipient already has a full supply you could add a different style, a wine accessory, or more wine!


Then we added some personal touches to take the gift to the next level.

Each wine has a purpose. To be shared as a couple during a monumental moment, likely during the first year, of their marriage. You could go with anything, serious or funny, that suits your relationship with the recipient.

We went with:

  1. First Vacation
  2. First Epic Fight
  3. First Dinner Party {Her turn!!}
  4. Establishing Your First Family Tradition


The tags were homemade. I went with basic colours a style but they could be as elevated as your taste and skill allows.


The knots were another personal touch - this time by Common-Law. Being the fisherman that he is, he knows a variety of knots and this one got two thumbs up from me. Not only is it too cute but it is also really sturdy {if knots are sturdy?} and will stand the test of time until each bottle is opened.


The finishing touch was a handmade fabric flower attached with twine to hold the handles together. Nothing too over the top - that's not their style - but enough to whisper we love you this much. At least that is how I see details.


There you have it. Our gift that says Personally Yours with Love.

I am delighted with the way it turned out. Not exactly how I imagined - the presentation was a bit of a struggle - but sweet none the less. But of course my favourite part is the versatility. Anyone can take the fundamental concept, add their own style and twist that makes it perfectly theirs for the giving. Maybe that person is you!

*If this approach doesn't have enough for the man for your liking we hear you. My Mom is like that. When she is on time with a gift, which is rare, she likes to take both genders into account. Rob suggests adding a few tall-boys or a bottle for the man with labels tailored to him.

Perhaps one or two of the following:

  1. First Guys Night
  2. First Solo Drink {Baby on Board}
  3. Reward - First Diaper Change
  4. First Round of Golf 
  5. First Summer Project
Happy Gifting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS