Tuesday 6 August 2013

To A New Leaf

I'll cheers to that!

Life has been up and down for me as of late. 

The truth is, life is always up and down. It has been for as long as I can remember. For years I thought it was 'normal' to feel the way I felt. Not that anything is truly normal but I didn't know that back when I was trying to find myself and my place in this life. But after years of struggle and self discovery I at least have a name for the feelings that seem to have set me apart for so long - depression. Boom. There it is.

There seems to be such a stigma attached to the word. Depression. See, it isn't so scary. {I'm the latest spin off of Harry Potter.} Anxiety. Perhaps even Bipolar. I'll just put it all out there. Do with it as you will. Judgement will likely do its best to creep up but if you can please make every effort to keep it at bay. If you can't I certainly wont hold it against you. I've been there myself.

For those of you who have never struggled an inward battle with hopelessness and angst or loved someone close to you who has I understand that you have your doubts. It has been an obstacle Robert and I have had to overcome ourselves. He is beyond relaxed in every avenue of life - Finley and Moe being the sole exceptions. So for him to wrap his mind around anxiety for no particular reason, overwhelming sadness with no distinct trigger, or the struggle to escape the swirling thoughts in ones head is understandably a leap. We continue to work on it daily.

This blurb of honesty is a bit of a twist from what you would generally find when stopping by to catch up with our going-ons and latest project. I hope I have not offended. Either way however, this is my truth to share. This blog is my happy place. A project in and of itself. A source of motivation to help channel my energy toward productivity, the epitome of happiness and refuge in my books, and better my family. *I'd take a busy bodied yet upbeat Mom over Down in the Dumps Debbie any day of the week. 

However, working up the gumption to put myself out there for all to openly see and criticize was an inward battle in and of itself. And in the spirit of honesty, continues to be. The anxiety of putting my ideas, opinions, handy-work, home, and family out there is a daily mental juggling act. One, after a week of relaxation, quality family time, and soul searching has proven itself worthy. It just requires a bit more practice. 

Which brings us full circle to the opening honesty. I have challenged myself to be more honest online. Instead of tiptoeing around topics and pretending everything is honkey-dorey one hundred percent of the time. This most certainly does not mean Slippers by Day will become a weekly rant session or dark place. It just simply means you will be seeing the real me on a daily basis. You can then decide for yourself if the extended version is someone who you want to continue checking in on. 

You will undoubtedly find the busy, dry person who takes everything in life, and herself, way too seriously. The gal who loves her little family, organizing, scheming up plans, and bossing along the way. She who has an opinion about everything and constantly walks the line between blunt and rude. A person who is spending every day working towards being the best version of herself, failing, and trying again. That is me. You can't miss me. I'm the one in the slippers making every effort to cherish each and every moment.

Moment like these...

Peaceful Sleep

Childs Play

Moments of Rest

All my Boys

New Friends

Peaceful Moments

Pure Joy

Forever

Stories

Generations

Friendship

Teamwork

Snuggles

Exploration

Beauty


Silliness 
There are so many things to be thankful for.

I hope my frankness has not frightened you to the point of no return. 

Chat soon?

5 comments:

  1. Love you chicky! Great post - honesty is always so refreshing. And great pictures, too - you have a fantastic eye for capturing those little moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, honesty. Such a lovely and respectable trait. Love you and your fine line of rude and blunt. Keep it up... you are amazing.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Allison...honesty ...sincere...truthful...respectable...frank and open... your blog says it all .....all traits to be proud off. Your blog has been amazing where you have captured and shared so many joys in our lives as well which we are so thankful for....the pictures say it all oxox meema and pops

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your blog recently and keep coming back for more. I love your posts on organization. Congrats on your engagement. And, most importantly, for being able to be open and honest to yourself and others. I wish more people could be. It's the first step on the path to inner peace (a journey we are all on and, I believe, all struggle with to varying degrees). Very best wishes to you, and thanks for this excellent blog. It's a happy escape for me once or twice a month. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Allison, your frankness has not frightened me to the point of no return.(I have been a part of the Sabine clan for over 50 yrs. now.) By this post you show that you are transparent, honest and real - very human. Your opening statement "that life is always up and down." is so true. We never know what curves life is going to throw to us. The thing to remember is that how we react to to events/situations determines our future. As you have said, "we have many things to be thankful for." I have to remind myself often. Blessings on you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS